Chocolate is not for dogs

Our four legged friends like all the snacks. Chips, candies, chocolate. However the delicacies may have a bad influence on their health. How does chocolate work for a body of a dog??

Poisoning chocolate

Chocolate is not the safest delicacy for the people, and even worse for dogs. Chocolate, and specifically cocoa and its products contain theobromine. It is a substance that has a negative impact on human health, but you would have to eat a lot in case to get poisoned. The risk of intoxication is the greater the lower the body weight is.

Metabolism of theobromine

Metabolism of a substance contained in cocoa grains is very slow. Its presence in blood may be noticed even after 20 hours from eating it. Additionally, a result of a theobromine metabolism is a toxic compound which may be very harmful to an animal. Even 100-150g per a 1kg of body mass may have a killing effect. This also depends on individual predisposition of a pupil such as: nutritional sensitivity, tempo of metabolism or mentioned before size and body weight.

Theobromine – where is the most of it?

The most of this substance is contained in cocoa grains and also in couverture chocolate. The less is in chocolate filled sweets. For example, real chocolate contains 14g/kg and white chocolate only 5g/1kg.

Symptoms of poisoning

First symptoms of poisoning can be noticed from digestive and excretory systems. The animal can be observed with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and excessive urination. More serious symptoms occur from the cardiovascular system. These include, among others: myocardial infarction, arrhythmia, or internal bleeding. They may also experience reactions from the nervous system, ie. Muscle twitching, photosensitivity, convulsions or even epileptic attack.

Treatment

Unfortunately there is not efficient way to cure intoxication with theobromine. The most important is to cause vomiting. Giving a carbo may also work, it will speed up bounding the toxin and getting it out from the body. With strong symptoms from nervous system may be necessary to give an anticonvulsant. An intravenous hydration may be also needed as this will help to relieve the metabolism.

First of all is to remember that after noticing first symptoms crucial is to contact with the veterinarian because intoxication may even be deadly. The best is to simply avoid it by keeping sweets and delicacies out of reach of the pet.